Total Pageviews

Monday, October 6, 2014

Tropical Island Walk, Everyday


Burnt-out like a forgotten potato on a barbeque, my kids bought me a ticket to a tropical island.
It was like returning home! I'd spent a lot of time on Gili Air in the past, and it was now a home that at first glance, had developed almost beyond recognition, but which held its essence intact, and its beauty undiminished. 
















first sunrise









and after banana pancakes for breakfast, the walking....



















time blends and drifts on a tropical island, seemingly stretching on forever, repeating everyday in  variations of beauty, sunshine and ease, and I soon slotted right in :)










the track from my front door














the local warung at the end of my track











the village in the centre of the island is radiated by many paths, all going to the beach










the chicken roam free, like the people

























so many tempting places to stop walking















always, everywhere, a beach :)
























the harbour on the south-side














the track on the west side



















a cup of coffee (Lombok style, hot, black and sweet!) rarely has such a view-enhanced flavour














the snorkeling was crystal clear, although as usual I tended to the gun-ho and nearly got caught in the impact zone of the waves out the back

















at my west-side beach spot, I had a visitor one morning










if she'd let me, I would've kissed her
















blue, blue, blue

it's not for nothing Gili Air is called the water island


















there's a track all the way around the island, it takes about 3/4 hour to walk at a leisurely pace
(uh oh, starting to sound like a travel brochure ;)












the spirit of the island on four legs

















one morning after my sunrise swim, I met three narcotics officers from the mainland, who wanted to chat and take photos, now I wonder if my pic is on a wall in a police-station somewhere in Lombok...





























no cars at all on the island, besides walking and push-bikes, these are the taxis













the track on the north side
















my favourite east side beach spot















sunset side, before the sun started setting ;)


















alright, alright, I know it's blurry, but it's a close representation of how my reality had softened 













why did the chicken cross the road?










I had time to contemplate such existential questions













my local friend :)
about 15 years ago, I used to lease a bungalow business from him, and his daughter used to work for us (I had a Lombok man as a partner back then).
This trip, we talked a lot about religion, as well as catching up on news, he is a practicing Muslim.
[For more about this, read my thread 'Muslim Man Tells Me' by K.Kool, by typing 'muslim man' into search Godlike Productions]













the Mosque at the centre of the village
(the tallest roof at the back)













one of the Aussie-owned places to rent














more liquid blue, sea and sky














and the track goes on...












one more sunrise
(my camera is full of them, all beautiful, and all different!)










the boat ride from the mainland to the island is always packed

on the way back, its just people












and so, goodbye room, home sweet home, island of everyday magic, where I re-blossomed.





XXKK

No comments: